it’s year-end top-albums listmaking time. this makes my inner datahead recklessly happy.
for your datahead/behind-on-what’s-cool pleasure (or, probably, mine), here’s a little top-of-the-tops list — an analysis of a sample of 131-ish* top 10 albums of the year lists.
so. what are the top 10 of the top 10s — the 10 albums that appeared most often on these 131 listmakers’ top 10 lists?
tadaaa (with links, for your listening pleasure)!:
- Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (Def Jam) (25 top 10 list appearances)
- Goat - World Music (Rocket Recordings) (17 appearances)
- Tame Impala - Lonerism (Modular) (15)
- Can - The Lost Tapes (Mute) (13)
- Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City (Aftermath) (13)
- Andy Stott - Luxury Problems (Modern Love) (12)
- Japandroids - Celebration Rock (Polyvinyl) (12)
- Alt-J - An Awesome Wave (Infectious) (11)
- Father John Misty - Fear Fun (Sub Pop) (11)
- Jack White - Blunderbuss (Columbia/Third Man) (10)
runners-up, with 7 to 9 list appearances: beach house “bloom”, swans “the seer”, the men “open your heart”, alabama shakes “boys & girls”, chromatics “kill for love”, grizzly bear “shields”, bobby womack “the bravest man in the universe”, dirty projectors “swing lo magellan”, dr john “locked down”, first aid kit “the lion’s roar”, francis bebey “african electronic music 1975-1982”, metric “synthetica”, neneh cherry & the thing “the cherry thing”, spiritualized “sweet heart sweet light”, v/a “personal space: electronic soul”
NOW YOU KNOW. hooray!!
*i collected 1312 top-ten-albums entries from various sources**, which i’m guessing roughly corresponds to 131 top 10 lists (buuuut i’m guessing somebodies didn’t take the ten part of top 10 seriously).
**these sources are definitely biased towards what i’ve been paying attention to lately, and also limited to the top lists available so far in the year, so: grains of salt!! sources: radio stations: CHIRP, KEXP, NPR, WFMU, the current mpls; record stores: reckless, other music; web stuffs: self-titled mag.